Box or box.com is one of the top most popular online file storage and sharing services out there. And unlike Dropbox, Box let’s you have 10GB of free space for any account. You also have upgrade options. With their web client you can upload, download and share files.
Like all other top cloud storage services, Box provides client software for desktop. With it, you can sync your files between online and offline hard-drive with your Box account. For this, Box uses a predefined folder on your local drive to store and sync files. By default this folder is located at your User folder – regardless of you are using Windows or OS X. Here’s how to change this default folder and set your custom folder/location.
- Unfortunately once you start syncing, you can’t have the option to change default sync folder. Uninstall and re-install it to do so.
- You can’t change default folder if your administrator already changed the location.
Box Sync for Mac lets you sync your files from your Box account across all of your devices when you install the app on them, as well. You can select which files you want to sync and which you want.
Guide to Change Box Client’s Default Sync Folder in PC/Mac
- Once you sign in to Box client, it will show an welcome screen. Click Customize Folder Settings instead of Start Syncing.
- Click on Change button under Box Sync section. Select your desired directory and hit OK.
- After you have changed to your custom location, review the address in that screen. Hit Done then.
- That’s it.
A folder named “Box Sync” will be created in the changed location. You can’t change the name of this Sync folder. Though the above guide is made on Windows 10, this procedure also applies for Mac and other Windows versions.
You can checkout official article on changing Box Sync folder location. They also have article on changing the client’s default folder location for IT admins.
Box Sync is a utility that you download. It replicates folders within your Box account to your computer. Once you have selected folders through the Box web interface that you would like to replicate, you can create, edit, and delete documents directly through a Box Sync folder on your computer using your native applications (such as Microsoft Word or Excel). All changes automatically sync back to your online Box account.
- macOS 10.13 or higher
Note: There are known issues with installing both Box Sync and Box Drive on the same machine. If you want to use Box Drive, do not install Box Sync. Learn more about Box Desktop Integration.
Install Box Sync
- Log in to Stanford University Box or Stanford Medicine Box, depending on your affiliation.
- Click the downward arrow/Synced on the left side of the window.
- In the middle of the next window, click the link labeled Click here to download Box Sync.
- Click the Box Sync button to download Box Sync for Mac.
- When prompted, click Save File.
- Double-click he Box Sync installer file (typically located in your Downloads folder) to run the installer.
- Drag the Box Sync.app icon to your Applications folder.
- Go to your Applications folder and double-click Box Sync.app.
- When the Box Sync log in dialog box displays, enter your your @stanford.edu email address and then click Log In.
- If a Login screen is displayed, enter your SUNet ID and Password and then click Login. You may also be prompted for two-step authentication.
- On the Welcome to Box Sync screen, click Start Syncing.
- The Box Sync dialog box displays the sync progress. A Box Sync icon () is added to the menu bar when the sync has completed.
- Go to your Box account at stanford.box.com or stanfordmedicinebox.com.
- To sync a folder to your computer, right-click the folder that you want to sync and then click More Actions > Sync.
- A banner message briefly displays when the sync is complete.
- To access your Box folders on your computer, click the Box Sync icon in the menu bar and click Open Box Sync Folder.
- The synced folders appear in your Box Sync folder. Now, whenever you change or add content to the Box folders on your computer, the changes are automatically saved to you Box account.
- When you add or change content to synced folders in your Box account, the changes are automatically saved to your Box folders on your computer. To see your synced folders in Box, click the downward arrow/Synced in the left panel.
Box Sync 4 For Mac
If you need assistance, please see Box Sync information on the Box Community website or submit a Help ticket.