Java software for your computer, or the Java Runtime Environment, is also referred to as the Java Runtime, Runtime Environment, Runtime, JRE, Java Virtual Machine, Virtual Machine, Java VM, JVM, VM, Java plug-in, Java plugin, Java add-on or Java download.
How do I update Java for my Mac?This article applies to:
- Platform(s): Mac OS X
Every time you launch a Java applet, a Java Web Start application or the Java Control Panel, the system first launches your program and then, in the background (so that performance of your Java application is not impacted), it determines if it has checked in the last 7 days for a Java update.
Update Java in the Java Control Panel
- Launch the Java Control Panel by clicking the Java icon under System Preferences.
- Go to the Update tab in Java Control Panel and click on Update Now button that brings up Installer window.
- Click on Install Update.
- Click on Install and Relaunch.
Save all your work before clicking Install and Relaunch.
- Once the installation is completed the Java application will be relaunched.
- If the Java application does not relaunch, manually relaunch so you can take advantage of the latest Java.
If you choose Remind Me Later, you will be reminded of the update the next time you run Java.
You might also be interested in:
- Why do I see the Java Update Needed message: Java is out of date?
- Mac OS X information for installing and using Java
- How do I install Java for my Mac?
- How do I uninstall Java on my Mac?
- How do I clear Java cache on my Mac?
- Where is the Java Control Panel on Mac?
Last updated: October 22, 2017
Looking for Java for Mac OS X? No matter which web browser you use with your Mac, you will need the Java plug-in from Oracle in order to view content that uses Java, such as Java applets. Java content is common on the Internet. As of the release of Java 7 Update 6, you can download and install Java for Mac OS X directly from the Java.com web site. There is no longer a need to get Java updates from the App Store (or from Software Updates). To download and install Java for Mac OS X, just follow these steps.
Java For Mac High Sierra 10.13.6
1. You can download, install and update Java for Mac OS X directly from the Java.com web site. Please note that the Recommended Version of Java you encounter may be different than pictured as new Java updates are released.
2. Click Agree and Start Free Download, and a download icon will display in the tool bar area of your browser. You can click the download icon to view the download progress.
3. Once completely downloaded, double-click on the box icon that displays in the notification window to start the installation process.
4. When prompted to Open the installation file, click the Open button.
5. If prompted to type a Username and Password for your Mac, input it, then click Install Helper to proceed.
6. The Installer will launch. Click Next to proceed.
Java For Macbook
7. You may be prompted to install a third-party search app. If you do not want to install the third-party search app, uncheck both check boxes. Click Next to proceed.
8. The installation will begin. A progress bar will display in the installation dialog to let you know the status.
9. A notification dialog will display when the installation has completed successfully. Click the Close button.
10. To verify your Java installation, visit the Java web site. If prompted to Activate Java, click the Activate Java link in the web page.
You may also see an address bar notification asking you to allow the web site you are visiting to run “Java”.
Click Allow Now to run Java one time, or click Allow and Remember to run Java any time the site is visited. The Java content will load in the web page…finally!
Legacy Java For Mac
Thank you for visiting Tech Help Knowledgebase to learn how to download and install Java for Mac OS X.
Download Java For Mac
Tech Help Knowledgebase creates how-to articles and video tutorials for common issues, and provides technical support for the categories covered by our site.