Microsoft Project is by far the most popular project management software on the market, at least among Windows users. You are a proud Mac or iPad user? No problem. You are in the right place to find all the information you need about MS Project compatibility and project management software alternatives for macOS and iOS.
Project Portfolio Management Software for Mac Project Portfolio Management (PPM) software enables businesses to plan and manage schedules, budgets, resources, and requests across multiple projects. It can forecast future staffing and project needs, manage risk, and determine project ROI. All of the essential features of project management at a great price. A simple way to get started, for both Mac and iOS. Brand new for OmniPlan in iOS 11, Drag and Drop support is simple, but advanced: drag to or from the OmniPlan Gantt chart from other supporting apps to quickly share or add tasks. Priority Matrix is a project management software for Mac that works natively. Works with Apple Mail, iCal. Try it free, today!
Is there a version of Microsoft Project for Mac or iPad?
Project Management Software For Mac 2016
No, Microsoft Project is not produced for macOS. Microsoft sells versions of their Office applications but no project management equivalent. However, there are alternatives which are just as powerful as MS Project.
Although there is no official successor to Microsoft, Merlin Project is considered the best MS Project replacement - on both Mac and iPad.
Give it a try!
How to find the best Microsoft Project alternative for macOS and iOS
There is a wide range of project management applications available. To decide which solution is the best fit for you, you should first get very clear about your requirements. We have put together several questions to get you started on your reflection process:
- Online/offline functionalities: Do you want to work online only or do you prefer to be able to access and edit your project data online as well as offline?
- Compatibility: Should project documents be readable on operating systems other than macOS?
- Mobility: How important is mobile access to your project data?
- Customization: Which level of customization do you want your software to offer?
- Collaboration: Do you want several users to read and edit documents at the same time? Do you need to depict different levels of authorization?
- Import/export: Which formats do you need to import and export?
- Budget: What is your budget?
- Support: What kind of support is available? How many ressources are offered for free online?
- Testing: Is it possible to download a free trial version?
Of course, you should define your own priorities and add your individual questions, i.e. Do you need milestones? Do you want a budgeting tool as part of your project management software suite? Which functions do you expect from resource planning?
A project mangement software fulfilling all aspects mentioned above is Merlin Project. It combines professional functionalities with intuitive usability and may well be considered the most powerful MS Project alternative for macOS currently available.
Merlin Project: Microsoft Project Professional for Mac and iPad users
Merlin Project can be customized to meet your individual needs. In addition to the full version for Mac and iPad, there is also a Mac version for beginners available with reduced functionality: Merlin Project Express (see feature comparison). Mobile use is supported as well as teamwork via Merlin Server, a secure, locally installed server.
- Online/offline functionalities: You can edit all your project data offline and online.
- Compatibility: You can open and edit Microsoft Project documents with Merlin Project.The application supports import as well as export of MS Project data.
- Mobility: You can plan your project with the additional iOS app for Merlin Project.
- Customization: You have a variety of options to customize the user interface of Merlin Project according to your preferences.
- Collaboration: You can view and edit Merlin Project documents with multiple users at the same time. You can define individual levels of authorization for each user and project document. Also, it is possible to make changes in a private work area and synch those changes later to share them with other team members.
- Import/export: Besides MS Project data all major file formats are supported.
- Budget: Merlin Project and Merlin Project Express are available as annual or monthly subscriptions. For Merlin Server you buy a license according to the number of users / connections in steps of 5. Price overview.
- Support: A free E-Mail support is available to you, which answers inquiries within a few hours on weekdays. In addition, users can find extensive and free learning material on the website: manuals, quick guides, frequently asked questions, videos tutorials.
Is there a free alternative to Microsoft Project?
SaaS applications for project management have attracted more and more attention in the last years. Managing teams without being restricted by limits of operating systems, without worrying about IT infrastructure and file exchange – SaaS applications promised the perfect solution. Lots of producers offer their tools on a subscription basis and almost as many offer free versions for beginners. We strongly advise against using those free project management tools as alternatives for MS Project.
Some of the SaaS applications may be a good fit for private use. They are nice task management tools but they do not allow a comprehensive project planning as they lack important elements like budget planning, resource management or a variety of different views i.e. gantt charts, mind maps or organization charts. Professional project management for free? Too good to be true. Better invest in a slick project management solution and be sure to benefit from all necessary features and an intuitive usability.
Why you do not need Microsoft Project Viewer for Mac and iPad
You are already working with lots of different tools. Keep your set of tools small to not loose time and nerves searching for information. If you are using Merlin Project or Merlin Project Express, you don't need additional project management tools. Therefore, you also do not need Microsoft Project viewer. As mentioned, MS Project documents can be opened and edited with Merlin Project just fine.
Free demo version of Microsoft Project alternatives for Mac and iPad
Every professional project management application should allow full version testing before buying. If you are looking for an alternative to MS Project your practical experience with other tools is an important part of your decision making.
You can test Merlin Project 30 days free of charge.
You might find the following content interesting as well:
As you were browsing blog.capterra.com something about your browser made us think you were a bot. There are a few reasons this might happen:
- You're a power user moving through this website with super-human speed.
To request an unblock, please fill out the form below and we will review it as soon as possible.