Microsoft Word Document. DOC is a file extension for word processing documents. It is associated mainly with Microsoft Word application. DOC files can also contain charts and tables, videos, images, sounds and diagrams. It supports almost all the Operating Systems.
- Word Doc Viewer For Mac
- Save Word Doc For Mac
- Word Document Mac
- Free Word Doc For Mac
- Open Word Document On Mac
Mar 20,2019 • Filed to: Document Recovery • Proven solutions
“How to retrieve unsaved Word documents on Mac? I guess I have lost some Word files and now I don’t know how to find them!”
As a friend of mine asked me this recently, I realized that the problem is quite common. Since a lot of Mac users end up losing their important documents, they should know how to find them easily. If you are suffering from the same problem, then you have come to the right place. In this guide, we will teach you how to recover unsaved documents on Mac in not one, but 5 different ways.
Part 1: Accidentally Lost Word Document on Mac Without Saving?
Before we discuss things like how to find autosaved documents in Mac, let’s learn what could have caused this issue in the first place.
- It might happen that your Mac is infected by malware or virus
- If Mac has been updated to a beta or unstable firmware, then it can lead to data loss
- Sometimes, MS Word closes unexpectedly in between leading to the inaccessibility of files.
- A bad or corrupt sector can also cause this problem
- Any other third-party application might have also deleted your Word documents
Part 2: How to Recover Unsaved Word Documents on Mac?
To make it easier for you, we have come up with 5 major options to recover unsaved Word document on Mac.
Method 1: Recover Word Document from Trash
Just like Windows, Mac also maintains all the deleted content in Trash. When a Word file is deleted, Mac won’t erase it from its storage right away. Instead, it will move it to the Trash folder. In this way, you can try to recover unsaved documents Word on Mac.
- Firstly, open the Trash folder on Mac. You can go to Finder to locate it or view its icon on the home.
- Locate the Word file and select it. You can just drag it in order to move it to a safe location.
- Also, you can right-click the file and choose the “Put Back” option to restore it.
Method 2: Recover Word Document from Auto-recovery Files
As you know, Microsoft Word has an auto-recovery option. This is because when the application is closed unexpectedly, it automatically maintains a recovery file. Therefore, you can just visit the Auto-recovery folder on Mac and view if your file is there. If you are lucky, then you can just extract its content from here and recover the unsaved Word document on Mac.
- To start with, go to the Documents folder on your Mac and try to find the Windows User Data folder.
- Once you visit the folder, you can see the Office AutoRecovery folder. Simply open it and view the recovery file.
- After finding the relevant file, open it with Microsoft Word and extract the needed content.
Method 3: Recover Word Document from the Temporary Folder
Apart from performing an auto recovery of documents, Word can sometimes also save its temporary file as well. This is because the application keeps saving the document automatically in the background and maintains its information in a temp file. If needed, users can just visit the location and open the temporary file with Microsoft Word to access their content. To learn how to find an unsaved Word document on Mac, follow these steps:
- Click on the “Go” button on the home and select the “Go to Folder” option.
- From here, you can go to the Temporary folder. You might have to explore the folders a bit and could visit Private > Var to find the Word temporary files.
- Here, you can see the Word Work temporary files. Just select a word work temporary file of your choice, right-click, and open it with MS Word.
Wait for a while as Word would process the selected file and extract all the relevant content from it.
Method 4: Recover Word Document from Time Machine Backup
If you have already taken a previous backup of your Word documents via Time Machine, then you won’t face any trouble recovering it. Time Machine is the native feature on Mac that can help us maintain a backup of your data and restore it afterward. Before you proceed, you should know that the backup of your Word documents exist and that the Time Machine backup option is enabled. Once it is done, follow these steps to learn how to recover unsaved Word document on Mac.
- Firstly, go to the Spotlight option on your Mac and search for Time Machine to open it.
- Before you proceed, make sure that the Time Machine drive is enabled. Once Time Machine is loaded, you can browse it to find the Word file of your choice.
- You can move the up and down keys or arrows to explore it. In order to have a preview of a file, select it, and press the space bar.
- After finding the relevant file, click on the “Restore” button to save it to a secure location. You can select and restore multiple files as well.
Method 5: Recover Word Documents with iSkysoft Data Recovery for Mac
This is undoubtedly the best way to recover unsaved Word documents on Mac. The iSkysoft Data Recovery application for Mac is equipped with tons of features and provides high data retrieval rate. The tool is extremely easy to use and does not need any prior technical assistance. It can recover Word files from your Mac’s internal storage as well as from an external media too.
iSkysoft Data Recovery for Mac
A Life Saver to Solve Your Data Loss Problems!
- From virus attack to accidental deletion and lost partition to corrupt storage, the application can perform data recovery in all kinds of scenarios.
- It can recover all sorts of text documents like doc, docx, txt, and more. Apart from Word files, users can also recover their photos, videos, music, PowerPoint, Excel files, and so much more.
- The application features two different modes of data recovery. This includes a quick normal scan and a more time-consuming deep scan.
- The interface allows us to preview the recovered content. In this way, users can first preview the files and restore them selectively.
- It features an intuitive user-friendly interface. You can install iSkysoft data recovery on every leading macOS version.
If you want to know how to get back an unsaved document on Mac using iSkysoft, then consider following these steps:
Step 1 Select a recovery mode
Start by launching the iSkysoft Data Recovery application on your Mac. From the welcome screen of the application, it has multiple data recovery modes, deleted file recovery, system crash recovery, and so on. By default, it will begin scanning without selecting recovery mode.
Step 2 Choose where to scan
Furthermore, the interface will ask you where to look for the lost or inaccessible Word file on your Mac. From here, you can select any partition, a drive, or even an external connected unit. After making the selections, click on the “Start” button.
Step 3 Recover the retrieved Word files
You would have to wait for a while as iSkysoft data recovery will scan your Mac. It will show the progress of the scan on the screen as well. In the end, you can view the retrieved content under different categories. Simply select the Word file of your choice, preview it, and restore it back to your Mac.
In case if you are not satisfied with the results, then consider performing an All-around recovery (i.e. a deep scan). It is a more time-consuming and thorough scan that will certainly help you dig up more data.
Part 3: Pro Tip about Recovering Lost Mac Data
Sometimes, users are not able to recover their lost data on Mac. This is because of its native feature, System Integrity Protection. The feature was first introduced in macOS X El Capitan and can prevent third-party apps to access certain data or permissions. Also, it is turned on by default in versions under macOS 10.13. Therefore, if you wish to recover your data, then you need to disable SIP beforehand.
1. Restart your Mac system. While it restarts, press the Command and R keys at the same time to enter the recovery mode.
Word Doc Viewer For Mac
2. From the recovery window, go to the “Utilities” section and launch the terminal.
3. Now, just type the command “csrutil disable” and press enter. Wait for a while as Mac would disable SIP. Once it is done, restart your Mac the usual way.
I’m sure that the guide would have helped you do the Mac recovery of unsaved Word documents. As you can see, iSkysoft Data Recovery provides such a hassle-free solution to recover all kinds of content. Not only to recover unsaved Word documents on Mac, it can also help you get back your lost photos, media files, videos, and other important documents as well. Go ahead and download the tool right away and always be prepared to perform data recovery like a pro.
Oct 29,2019 • Filed to: Solve Mac Problems • Proven solutions
- Case 1: I accidentally deleted a Word document on my Mac.
- Case 2: Word document files unexpectedly closes and aren't saved.
- Case 3: I lost my Word document on Mac due to the sudden shutdown or crash.
Word document accidentally deleted or lost before saving? When it happens, you can first go to the Mac Trash to restore them to the original location. If not, take it easy. In this article, we will offer the best 3 ways to help you recover lost, deleted or unsaved Word document on Mac.
Way 1 How to Recover Deleted or Lost Word Document on Mac
Your Word files can be deleted or lost due to careless or wrong deletion, Option-Shift-Command-Delete or Shift-Command-Delete clicking, system crash, virus attack, hard drive formatting, hard drive corruption and more. Regardless of the causes, we can surely tell you that 'Yes, you can recover a deleted or lost Word document'. As long as you get a powerful Mac data recovery software, you can easily and quickly recover Word document.
1. Recoverit - The Best Software for Word Document Recovery
As for the powerful Word document recovery tool, we recommend Recoverit Data Recovery for Mac. This file recovery program is safe and reliable. It can easily and effectively help you recover deleted or lost Word document files on Mac and Windows, even your Word document files are not saved. Follow the next guide to recover deleted, lost or unsaved Word document on Mac.
2. How to Recover Deleted or Lost Word Document on Mac
In this section, we're going to provide the specific solution for deleted or lost Word file recovery on Mac. If you're searching for a solution on Windows, please download the Windows version and take the same steps.
Save Word Doc For Mac
Video Guide to Word Document Recovery on Mac
How Do I Recover a Deleted or Lost Word Document
Free download and install Recoverit Mac Data Recovery on your computer. Follow the next steps to perform deleted files recovery on Mac. Just in 3 steps and minutes, you can get lost files back instantly.
- Select a Word file location
- Scan for lost Word files
- Preview and recover Word document
To recover deleted or lost Word files on Mac, you need to select a location where your Word document were stored. Click 'Start' to get started.
Recoverit File Recovery Software will start to scan the hard disk. It will take for a while to deep scan and search the location for deleted files.
After the scanning, you can check all recoverable files. Preview some recovered photos, select your Word document files and click 'Recover' button to get them back.
With Recoverit Data Recovery, you can easily recover deleted or lost Word document files on Mac. The reliable data recovery software will keep your system or data private. Download and try it for free now.
Way 2AutoRecovery: How to Recover Unsaved Word Document on Mac
For Word documents not saved promptly, there are also some methods to help get them back. The first method is AutoRecovery. Microsoft Word has an auto save function, which saves your data in a specified folder. In this method, you don't need any Word recovery software. Now, what we're going to do is accessing that folder to retrieve your lost files. Follow the steps:
- Access this path Finder/Go/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Office 2011 AutoRecovery. Please bear in mind that you have to press the 'Option' key while clicking 'Go' in finder to be able to access 'Library' folder which is usually hidden;
- Once you see your file, open it;
- Save your file in any location;
- You have successfully recovered your file.
Way 3TMP Folder: Recover Word Document Not Saved on Mac
The last way you can resort to for Mac Word document recovery is to open Temporary folder with Terminal.
- Find and open 'Terminal' in Utilities.
- Type 'open $TMPDIR' and press 'Enter'.
- Find and open the TMP Folder named 'TemporaryItems'
- Select and save the unsaved Word documents you want.
Usually, your Word document not saved promptly should be in the temporary folder on Mac. If you do not find them, that's because you have deleted them or clean up the folder.
To Wrap Up
It doesn't matter which method you are using to perform lost or deleted Word files recovery on Mac as long as you can get your files back. However, if you lost your files and can't get them back with the Office features, then I suggest you use the Recoverit Word File Recovery Software. It is a truely reliable and workable tool to help you recover Word document on Mac. Keynote files recovery can be also done with it.
Note: Recover Lost Mac Data under Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
Due to macOS High Sierra (macOS 10.13) requirement, Mac users are not allowed an access to the built-in system drive from any apps. Therefore, if you need to restore lost data from the system disk under macOS 10.13, please 'disable System Integrity Protection' first.
How to disable 'System Integrity protection'? Please follow the steps below.
Step 1On hearing the startup chime, reboot the Mac and hold down'Command + R' keys simultaneously to boot OS X into Recovery Mode.
Word Document Mac
Step 2When the 'OS X Utilities' screen appears, pull down the 'Utilities' menu at the top of the screen instead, and choose 'Terminal'.
Step 3In the 'Terminal' window, type in 'csrutil disable' and press 'Enter' then restart your Mac.
Free Word Doc For Mac
What's Wrong with Mac
Open Word Document On Mac
- Recover Your Mac
- Fix Your Mac
- Delete Your Mac
- Learn Mac Hacks